Tonight I decided I would give the trendy green smoothie a try, and there is no greater test than before a swim practice workout.
On Mondays and Wednesdays I have swim practice from 7:30-9 pm. Of course this is the most awkward timing since I am generally pretty hungry after work but can’t eat too much because I am about to get in the pool for an hour and half. So after hearing good things from my fitness and health fanatic friends, I figured tonight was the night to find something that could sustain me during my fitness routine, whilst aiding in my weight loss goals.
The verdict: It surprisingly tasted delicious! And I had enough energy to swim without feeling sick.
How I made my smoothie,
- 1 cup purple Kale (I figured purple would reduce the grosse factor since I was still unsure about drinking liquid vegetables)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package Weight Watchers French Vanilla smoothie mix (this has a vanilla flavour in addition to protein, which I needed to fuel me through the workout. You can add any protein powder you have but be mindful of the calorie count)
- ½ of an apple, diced
- 5 pieces of frozen mango chunks
- I used the small magic bullet, which has individual sized serving cups (perfect for keeping your portion in control because fruit does have a lot of sugar, you can sometimes get carried away)
- First blend kale, spinach, milk and protein powder together so that the spinach and kale is broken up. (I wanted to reduce the chance of having random chunks of Kale so I blended for approx. 1 minute)
- Then add the apple and blend the mixture
- Finally add a couple of frozen mango pieces to add more fruity flavour (an added bonuses is that it makes it nice and cold)
- Drink away!
Points Plus Value: 4 (skim milk & Weight Watchers Smoothie) all fruit and vegetables are 0.
Tip: Make another smoothie in a magic bullet travel mug with the cap cover (or any bottle container) so that you have breakfast or pre workout snack prepared for the next day.